PURPOSE: House Refreshers are vital to Ronald McDonald House Charities® of Central Illinois in order to maintain a high level of comfort and service to guest families. Their primary role is to make families feel comfortable by ensuring our House is tidy, organized and well stocked. House Refreshers spend a majority of their time in the House’s Kitchen—the hub of activity for families.
The volunteer reports directly to the Program Director, but works with the entire staff to ensure that the needs of our House are being met consistently.
- Make coffee & tea and ensure milk, bread, cereal and snacks are available and/or refreshed for families (bakers are welcome for this task)
- Keep kitchen area clean and well organized for families and Guest Chefs (restock pantry, restock soap & gloves, consolidate food items, clean counters & stovetops, etc.)
- Assist in preparing meals if no Guest Chef group is scheduled
- Complete housekeeping duties such as loading and unloading the dishwashers, doing House laundry and tidying public spaces
- Be a helpful and understanding listener (but not a counselor) to families
- Provide general assistance, service and support activities to all guests
- Sort donations and restock supplies in public areas of the House
- Assist with additional tasks as assigned
- Uphold the rules and policies of Ronald McDonald House Charities of Central Illinois
- Ability to interact with the public, staff and other volunteers in a helpful and supportive manner
- Able to perform light housekeeping tasks
- Willing to share time, skills and interests
- Possess qualities of friendliness, dependability, flexibility, tact and good listening skills
- Understand and practice confidentiality
- Neat and clean appearance
- Must be at least 18 years of age & pass background check
TRAINING: Each volunteer will receive an orientation session, shadow an experienced volunteer for the first few shifts of hands-on training, and continuous learning through on-the-job experience and in-service sessions.
TIME COMMITMENT: Volunteers are scheduled for a four or five hour shift either weekly or bi-weekly. Three shifts are available: 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., 12:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. Volunteers are needed Monday through Friday. A six-month or semester commitment is preferable. Reliable attendance is vital.
Please note: Volunteers cannot come to the House when they have communicable illnesses such as colds, strep throat, fever blisters, flu, chicken pox, measles and pink eye (conjunctivitis). Children with suppressed immune systems may be staying at the House and communicable diseases can be life threatening for them.