PURPOSE: Welcome Desk/Guest Relations volunteers assist Ronald McDonald House Charities of Central Illinois staff with daily activities that are vital in maintaining a high level of comfort and service to guest families. There are three primary roles of this position: 1) to be the “face” of the charity; 2) providing administrative support; 3) ensuring that families feel at home and comfortable.
The volunteer reports directly to the Program Director, but works with the entire staff to ensure that the needs of our House are being met consistently.
- Greet & welcome guest families, visitors and donors; make everyone feel at home; place guest needs first
- Answer and/or direct incoming telephone calls
- Perform guest check in/check out process, including guest orientation & House tour
- Be a helpful and understanding listener (but not a counselor) to families
- Provide general assistance, service and support activities to all guests
- Accept donations and complete applicable forms, including acceptance procedures
- Stock House with donated items
- Keep the guest services area clean and organized
- Perform daily house operations tasks as requested by staff, and additional administrative tasks as needed
- Uphold the rules and policies of Ronald McDonald House Charities of Central Illinois
- Ability to interact with the public, staff and other volunteers in a helpful and supportive manner
- Able to perform office and light housekeeping tasks
- Willing to share time, skills and interests
- Possess qualities of friendliness, dependability, flexibility, tact and good listening skills
- Understand and practice confidentiality
- Neat and clean appearance
- Must be at least 18 years of age & pass background check
TRAINING: Each volunteer will receive an orientation session, shadow an experienced volunteer for the first few shifts of hands-on training, and continuous learning through on-the-job experience and in-service sessions.
TIME COMMITMENT: Volunteers are scheduled for a four or five hour shift either weekly or bi-weekly. Three shifts are available: 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., 12:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. Volunteers are needed Monday through Friday. A six-month or semester commitment is preferable. Reliable attendance is vital.
Please note: Volunteers cannot come to the House when they have communicable illnesses such as colds, strep throat, fever blisters, flu, chicken pox, measles and pink eye (conjunctivitis). Children with suppressed immune systems may be staying at the House and communicable diseases can be life threatening for them.